The Novogrudok region was founded on January 15, 1940 as part of Baranovichi oblast with the regional center in the town of Novogrudok.
According to archeological excavations, Novogrudok is about 1000 years old. It was first mentioned in chronicles in 1044. Over it centuries-old history the town had its ups and downs.
In the mid 13th century the political and cultural center shifts from Polotsk to Novogrudok, which becomes a cradle of the Belarusian statehood.
In 1252, Count Mindaugas settles in Novogrudok were he is crowned in 1253. His son Voishalk continued the policy of unification of the lands around Novogrudok and laid a strong foundation for the new state – the Great Principality of Lithuania.
Within several centuries Novogrudok remained one of the most powerful and largest towns of the Great Principality of Lithuania.
After the third partition of the Rzecz Pospolita Novogrudok was annexed to the Russian Empire. In September 1915 it was occupied by German troops and in December 1918 was liberated by the Red Army. In 1919-1939 Novogrudok was part of Poland.
From 1940 to 1954 it was the regional center of Baranovichi oblast. In 1954 it became regional center of Grodno oblast.
The Novogrudok region is located in the east of Grodno oblast. It borders on the Korelichi, Diatlovo, Lida and Ivie regions of Grodno oblast, the Baranovichi region of Brest oblast and the Stolbtsy region of Minsk oblast.
There are 13 rural councils and 216 settlements in the region. The largest settlements are the towns of Novogrudok (30,700 people), Liubcha (1,400 people), Negnevichi (1,100 people), Vseliub (700 people), Schorsy (600 people) and villages of Vereskovo, Gorodechno, Petrevichi, Otminovo (500 people each).
The biggest part of the region lies within Novogrudok Upland. The lands along the Neman River occupy the lowland of the Upper Neman. Minerals: ten deposits of raw materials for brick production (2 million cubic meters in total), three deposits of chalk (0.9 million tons), building sand, gravel and peat.
There are 47 rivers and 20 streams in the region. Their total length is 527km including the Neman river – 78km.
Forests occupy 41.5% of the region. The total forests’ area – 69.4 thousand hectares.
The automobile roads Nesvizh-Novogrudok-Lida, Baranovichi-Novogrudok-Ivie, Novogrudok-Novoelnya, Novogrudok-Liubcha run through the territory of the region.
The Novogrudok region is situated in the east of the Grodno oblast. It borders on the Korelichi, Dyiatlovo, Lida and Ivie regions of the Grodno oblast and the Baranovichi and Stolbtsy regions of the Minsk oblast. The Novogrudok region was formed in January 1940.
Most of the region is covered with the Novogrudok hills; the region is the home for 47 rivers and 20 brooks, the total length of which is 527 kilometers.
The region’s territory is crossed by automobile highways Nesvizh – Novogrudok – Lida, Baranovichi – Novogrudok – Ivie. Novogrudok is 150 kilometers away from Minsk, 160 kilometers from Grodno, 150 kilometers – from Vilnius.
The first people inhabited the Novogrudok region approximately ten thousand years ago as evidenced by the remnants of ancient settlements and burial mounds. Novogrudok (or Novgorodok, Novogorodok or Novi Gorodok as it is called in chronicles) is one of the most ancient towns of Belarus. Novogrudok was first mentioned in chronicles in 1044, though according to archeologists, the first permanent settlements here date back to the end of the 10th century. Since the 13th century Novogrudok was the center of a feudal principality. In 1253, Novogrudok Duke Mindovg was crowned here as Lithuanian king. Therefore, Novogrudok can be rightly called the capital and the core of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. During the First World War the land of Novogrudok was occupied by the German army. In 1919, the Soviet rule was installed here. In 1921-1939, Novogrudok was part of Poland. In late 1939 it became part of the BSSR. Beginning from January 1940, Novogrudok was the center of the Novogrudok region of the Baranovichi oblast. During the Second World War, this region was occupied by Germans. One of the most tragic events that happened at the beginning of the war was the encirclement of the Red Army troops in the “Novogrudok pot”. The war took the lives of 45 thousand of Novogrudok citizens. About 60% of the buildings lay in the ashes. The Nazi troops were driven out of Novogrudok on July 8, 1944. Since 1954, the Novogrudok region is part of the Grodno oblast. In 1997, the town of Novogrudok and the Novogrudok region were merged into one administrative and territorial unit.